Creating a Campaign
The first step to this assignment was to find an ad to which I could create a complimentary new ad to and it needed to be appropriate to BYUI standards. I had no idea how hard it would be to find an ad. It took me several days of searching and truthfully, I felt icky after looking at ads. The large majority of ads have suggestive or blatantly sexual suggestions in them.
The light in the original ad is what caught my attention. It is so warm and inviting, which is what will attract an audience who is already doing yoga and looking for new classes to attend. It also highlights the models face and she looks very peaceful. When searching for a stock photo to use for the new ad I kept these attributes in mind. I wanted to find a photograph that had lots of light with the model doing yoga indoors. She also needed to look peaceful and be dressed modestly. Again, I had no idea how hard these attributes would be to find so that I could attract the proper audience. I was stuck for a long time because I was looking for a picture that would match everything, exactly like the original. Finally, I realized that it didn’t need to be exact but it did need to convey the same feeling. When I found this picture it was a relief because it was exactly what I needed. I love how the cooler colors in the new ad are opposite from the original which adds contrast to the campaign.
When I began to add text to the picture in Adobe Illustrated I tried to stay within the original ads color scheme. This was an utter frustration! The colors just did not contrast with my picture and I could not get them to be readable. I also tried to keep the main wording lower on the picture which resulted with the wording being across the models chest. Oh, was I frustrated! It didn’t look right and I thought about changing my whole concept. All my frustration changed with a critique from my instructor, who encouraged me to branch out – “this ad shouldn’t look exactly like the original”. FREEDOM! I could make a new color scheme to fit my picture and I could rearrange where the text was located. Now I could really start to play and enjoy the project, all I had to do was get out of the box that I had put myself in.
I found a great looking Gaia|Yoga logo that was in beautiful cool colors and used the colors from that logo as my color choices for all of the text for the rest of the assignment. I love how the blue/green and purple compliment and contrast against each other. My favorite detail of the ad is the design work that I put into the windows. This ended up being rather tricky as I had never done something like it before. I also spent time adjusting the light in the picture in Adobe Photoshop, to help create more contrast between the text and the photograph. I do think working on these details was time well spent because it does create a cohesive look in both of the ads.
After the new ad was created it was time to create slides in Adobe Indesign for the presentation of the campaign. I liked creating the slides and think they turned out beautiful. It was difficult to decide how to design them because I wanted them to be simple but attractive. I decided to stick with the same font colors that I used in the new ad. I think this helps to create a unified look to the slides and the ad. I paid close attention to the alignment and proximity of the text on the slides with the elements like the lines with dots which relayed repetition from the ads. I kept the background of the slides white to ensure that the fonts had contrast and would be easily readable.
In conclusion, both of these ads make me want to go get my mat and practice yoga. They are opposite in colors, one is warm while the other is cool, creating an interesting balance between the two. As I focused on keeping the other elements similar the two ads continue to feel like they are part of the same ad family.