Creating an Ad

Facebook size
web/blog size

For this project we were asked to use a project generator which randomly came up with different household items to create ads for along with all the data we needed to know about our audience. I was the lucky winner of sheets! My audience is both male and female, between the ages 55-64 they graduated from high school and have incomes in the range of $60,000-$89,000. They are currently in a relationship and my ads need to be ready to be viewed on social media and blogs.

When I first received all this information I wasn’t sure what to do with it. Why did I need all these details and how should it influence what I decide to do? Well, the more I thought about it the more ideas I had on how to relate to this audience. The age range is just a little younger than my parents. So, I started to think about what their lives are like right now. They are still working so there is stress in their lives. Their children are older teenagers or they’ve already left their house. These two things mean that they have a little more money to perhaps splurge on a purchase like nice sheets. They probably have decent technology skills and so the ad needs to be eye catching to stand out from all of the other ads on social media.

As I thought about their lives I began to think about what could represent stress? My first thought was work, which lead me to think about a city and I thought it would be cool if the sheet could make that city or the “stress” disappear. Finding images to use for my idea was a whole other issue. I spent days looking through public domain photography website and creative commons websites. I finally found the photos that captured my ideas on I think it’s really cool that these photographers offer their work up for use for free.

Now that I had photographs that I could use I had to import them into Photoshop and begin to manipulate them. I haven’t decided if I love or hate Photoshop…it seems harder to use than some of the other Adobe programs. I am a newbie at it and as I struggle with it I’m starting to appreciate some of what it can do. I used the picture of the girl and the sheet to make a mask to go over the city scape. I had to do some touch ups to make the sheet look better and to arrange where I wanted the city to sit in the combined photograph. I needed it to cover most of the city but allow enough of the city to show that it looked like the city was being covered.

I chose two different fonts to use, Monotype Cursive and Franklin Gothic Book. The monotype cursive font has nice contrast against the sans serif of the franklin gothic. I picked colors for the font from the photograph of the city and made sure there was contrast between the colors and the background. Even the logo color came from the photograph to add repetition of colors through the ad and to draw eyes to the logo.  I was also careful with the proximity between the words and that they had good alignment with each other.

In conclusion, I feel like this ended up as a simple yet, sophisticated ad. The colors of the blurred headlights bring your eyes into the photograph and the sheet covering the city creates adds interest. Hopefully, this would catch my audiences eye and make them wonder what it is all about. This was a fun project and challenging in both topic and software.

By Yoann Boyer
By Joey Kyber